Polarimeters with Peltier temperature control
P8000-P and P8100-P
Polarimeter P8000-P with measurement tube PRG-100-EPT
Quartz control plates polarimeter PQP
Construction polarimeter glas tube PRG-100-EPT
Polarimeter glas tube PRG-100-ET with temperature sensor PRT-E
Polarimeter glas tube PRG-100-ET with temperature sensor PRT-T
Peristaltic pump DS7070
Precise temperature control using Peltier technology
High-precision measurements through temperature control without an additional device – this is what our polarimeter models P8000-P and P8100-P offer, which otherwise have the same functional scope and the same characteristics as the other devices of the P8000 series. They are recommended if the temperature of the sample is to be controlled extremely accurately within a very short period of time and with a short control cycle and independent of the outside temperature.
- Temperature measurement directly inside the sample
- Accurate, homogenous, fast Peltier temperature control
- Chemical-resistant, unbreakable measurement tube
- Highest accuracy over the entire measurement range
- Very short measurement time of approx. 1 s
- Measurement up to an optical density of 3.0
- Intuitive operation via touch-screen display
- Predefined scales (opt. rotation, spec. rotation, int. sugar scale, concentration)
- Any number of freely definable scales with conversions based on tables or formulas
- Chemical-resistant materials
- Compliance with GMP/GLP, 21 CFR Part 11, Pharmakopöen (USP, BP, JP, Ph. Eur.), FDA, ISO, HACCP, OIML, ASTM, ICUMSA, NIST
The P8000-P polarimeters can be used for a variety of applications in the pharmaceutical, chemical, sugar, food and beverage industry, as well as for the production of flavors and fragrances.
- Determination of the concentration of sugar as an ingredient of pharmaceutical agents
- Purity control and content determination
- Determination of the stereochemical composition and mutarotation
- Characterisation of new synthetic substances
- Purity control and concentration determination
- Monitoring of chemical processes during the production of optically active substances
- Characterisation tests in research laboratories
- Reaction kinetic analyses
A comprehensive overview of typical applications with the polarimeters of the P8000 series can be found in our campus article on polarimeter applications.
Conformity with national and international standards
A big advantage of normalized measurements is the comparability of the measurement results. In many international standards and guidelines, polarimeters are recommended for specific measurement tasks as suitable measuring instruments. The requirements for the measuring devices, such as measuring accuracy and measuring temperature, are dependent on the respective measuring task and defined in each standard. We have compiled for you an overview of all known standards and guidelines, which refer to polarimetry.
- Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- European Honey Commission (EHC)
- International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis (ICUMSA)
- European Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Eur.)
- United States Pharmacopoeia (USP)
A PDF overview of these standards is available for download at the following link:
Feel free to contact us, we will assist you in choosing the right polarimeter for you.
Measuring optically active substances
Many biologically important substances such as amino acids, sugars, enzymes or receptors are chiral compounds and have the ability to rotate linear-polarized light. Almost all natural amino acids rotate linearly polarized light to the left, whereas natural sugars (eg D-glucose) almost exclusively turn right. These substances have the same physical properties as density, melting point, boiling point or IR spectrum except for their optical activity. Depending on the direction of rotation, chiral substances can have very different physiological effects on living organisms. Therefore, measurement of optical purity with a polarimeter is an important quality criterion in the production of chiral drugs in the pharmaceutical industry. Due to the proportionality of the rotation value α and the concentration c, it is possible to carry out quantitative content determination of sugar solutions in the sugar processing industry (saccharimetry).
A high-quality optics, intelligent evaluation logarithms, LEDs with different wavelengths and a consistent measuring accuracy over the entire measuring range are available for the quantification and characterization of all optically active substances.
In the following table we have compiled an overview of frequent samples from our customers. Most samples were measured at standard measurement conditions (20 ° C, λ = 589 nm). Deviations are indicated. The measurements given are not specifications.
The PDF overview of these samples is available for download at the following link:
Get in contact with us, we will assist you in choosing a suitable polarimeter.
|SCALES||Optical rotation [°]
Int. sugar scale [°Z]
Concentration [g/100 ml]
|MEASUREMENT RANGES||±90° |
0–99.9 g/100 ml
±0.5 g/100 ml
±0.5 g/100 ml
0.1 g/100 ml
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT||With measurement tube PRG-100-EPT|
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT RANGE||0–99.9 °C|
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT RESOLUTION||0.1 °C|
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT ACCURACY||±0.2 °C|
|TEMPERATURE CONTROL||With measurement tube PRG-100-EPT with 3 integrated Peltier elements|
|TEMPERATURE CONTROL RANGE||15–40 °C|
|TEMPERATURE CONTROL ACCURACY||±0.2 °C|
|MEASUREMENT PERIOD ±90°||Approx. 1 s|
|LIGHT SOURCE||1 LED with filter|