Polarimeters without temperature control
P8000 and P8100
Polarimeter P8000 with measurement tube PRG-100-E and temperature sensor PRT-E
Quartz control plates polarimeter PQP
Polarimeter stainless steel tubes PRM-100-D
Polarimeter glass tube PRG-200-E
Polarimeter glass gauge PRG-100-E
Compact polarimeter with proven features
The polarimeter models P8000 and P8100 are the right choice for all applications where sample temperature control for high-precision measurements is not absolutely necessary. The devices are suitable for nearly all samples as the parts that come in contact with the sample are chemical resistant. The P8000 and P8100 are recommended for all basic applications. Instead of a temperature control, the temperature can be compensated according to ICUMSA. That allows you to take measurements at any temperature; the results will then be converted to the desired temperature. In addition, the international sugar scale has been predefined on our devices, and the initial weight is taken into account for the conversion into the specific rotation.
- Suitable measurement tubes for any type of sample
- Temperature measurement directly inside the sample
- Reliable temperature compensation
- Highest accuracy over the entire measurement range
- Very short measurement time of approx. 1 s
- Measurement up to an optical density of 3.0 OD
- Intuitive operation via touch-screen display
- Predefined scales (opt. rotation, spec. rotation, int. sugar scale, concentration)
- Any number of freely definable scales with conversions based on tables or formulas
- Chemical-resistant materials
- Compliance with GMP/GLP, 21 CFR Part 11, Pharmakopöen (USP, BP, JP), FDA, ISO, HACCP, OIML, ASTM, ICUMSA, NIST
The P8000 and P8100 are especially recommended in case of a high sample throughput in the sugar industry.
- Determination of concentrations in raw materials, preliminary, intermediate and end products
- Determination of sugar concentration
- Monitoring of chemical processes, e.g. during the manufacture of invert sugar
A comprehensive overview of typical applications with the polarimeters of the P8000 series can be found in our campus article on polarimeter applications.
Conformity with national and international standards
A big advantage of normalized measurements is the comparability of the measurement results. In many international standards and guidelines, polarimeters are recommended for specific measurement tasks as suitable measuring instruments. The requirements for the measuring devices, such as measuring accuracy and measuring temperature, are dependent on the respective measuring task and defined in each standard. We have compiled for you an overview of all known standards and guidelines, which refer to polarimetry.
- Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- European Honey Commission (EHC)
- International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis (ICUMSA)
- European Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Eur.)
- United States Pharmacopoeia (USP)
Feel free to contact us, we will assist you in choosing the right polarimeter for you.
Measuring optically active substances
Many biologically important substances such as amino acids, sugars, enzymes or receptors are chiral compounds and have the ability to rotate linear-polarized light. Almost all natural amino acids rotate linearly polarized light to the left, whereas natural sugars (eg D-glucose) almost exclusively turn right. These substances have the same physical properties as density, melting point, boiling point or IR spectrum except for their optical activity. Depending on the direction of rotation, chiral substances can have very different physiological effects on living organisms. Therefore, measurement of optical purity with a polarimeter is an important quality criterion in the production of chiral drugs in the pharmaceutical industry. Due to the proportionality of the rotation value α and the concentration c, it is possible to carry out quantitative content determination of sugar solutions in the sugar processing industry (saccharimetry).
A high-quality optics, intelligent evaluation logarithms, LEDs with different wavelengths and a consistent measuring accuracy over the entire measuring range are available for the quantification and characterization of all optically active substances.
In the following table we have compiled an overview of frequent samples from our customers. Most samples were measured at standard measurement conditions (20 ° C, λ = 589 nm). Deviations are indicated. The measurements given are not specifications.
Get in contact with us, we will assist you in choosing a suitable polarimeter.
|SCALES||Optical rotation [°]
Int. sugar scale [°Z]
Concentration [g/100 ml]
|MEASUREMENT RANGE||±90° |
|MEASUREMENT ACCURACY||±0.003° |
|MEASUREMENT PERIOD ±90°||Approx. 1 s|
|LIGHT SOURCE||1 LED with filter|
|TEMPERATURE CONTROL||Can be retrofitted (requires Circulation Thermostat PT31 or PT80
sample chamber bushing P8020 and temperature-controlled measurement tube PRG-100-ET)
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT||With temperature probe PRT-E or PRT-T|
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT RANGE||0–99.9 °C|
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT RESOLUTION||0.1 °C|
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT ACCURACY||±0.2 °C|