Polarimeters with water bath temperature control
P8000-T and P8100-T
Polarimeter P8000-T with circulating thermostat PT31
Polarimeter glas tube PRG-100-ET with temperature sensor PRT-T
Polarimeter glas tube PRG-100-ET with temperature sensor PRT-E
Polarimeter glas tube PRG-100-DT V
Polarimeters for the laboratory
The polarimeter models P8000-T and P8100-T will allow for a water bath temperature control in the range between 8 and 40 °C when combined with temperature controlledmeasurement tubes and a thermostat. That makes them suitable for high-precision measurements in quality control. Especially if a multitude of different temperaturecontrolled measurement tubes are to be used, the P8000-T and P8100-T are the right choice. We offer a very large selection of this type of tubes.
- Temperature measurement directly inside the sample
- Accurate, homogeneous water bath temperature control
- Large selection of temperature-controlled tubes
- Quick coupling system for an easy measurement tube change
- Highest accuracy over the entire measurement range
- Very short measurement time of approx. 1 s
- Measurement up to an optical density of 3.0
- Intuitive operation via touch-screen display
- Predefined scales (opt. rotation, spec. rotation, int. sugar scale, concentration)
- Any number of freely definable scales with conversions based on tables or formulas
- Chemical-resistant materials
- Compliance with GMP/GLP, 21 CFR Part 11, Pharmacopeia (USP, BP, JP, Ph. Eur.), FDA, ISO, HACCP, OIML, ASTM, ICUMSA, NIST
The P8000-T polarimeters can be used for a variety of applications in the pharmaceutical, chemical, sugar, food and beverage industry, as well as for the production of flavors and fragrances.
- Determination of concentrations in raw materials, preliminary, intermediate and end products
- Purity control
- Determination of the stereochemical composition and mutarotation
- Monitoring of chemical processes
- Routine analysis with high sample throughput
A comprehensive overview of typical applications with the polarimeters of the P8000 series can be found in our campus article on polarimeter applications.
Conformity with national and international standards
A big advantage of normalized measurements is the comparability of the measurement results. In many international standards and guidelines, polarimeters are recommended for specific measurement tasks as suitable measuring instruments. The requirements for the measuring devices, such as measuring accuracy and measuring temperature, are dependent on the respective measuring task and defined in each standard. We have compiled for you an overview of all known standards and guidelines, which refer to polarimetry.
- Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- European Honey Commission (EHC)
- International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis (ICUMSA)
- European Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Eur.)
- United States Pharmacopoeia (USP)
A PDF overview of these standards is available for download at the following link:
Feel free to contact us, we will assist you in choosing the right polarimeter for you.
Measuring optically active substances
Many biologically important substances such as amino acids, sugars, enzymes or receptors are chiral compounds and have the ability to rotate linear-polarized light. Almost all natural amino acids rotate linearly polarized light to the left, whereas natural sugars (eg D-glucose) almost exclusively turn right. These substances have the same physical properties as density, melting point, boiling point or IR spectrum except for their optical activity. Depending on the direction of rotation, chiral substances can have very different physiological effects on living organisms. Therefore, measurement of optical purity with a polarimeter is an important quality criterion in the production of chiral drugs in the pharmaceutical industry. Due to the proportionality of the rotation value α and the concentration c, it is possible to carry out quantitative content determination of sugar solutions in the sugar processing industry (saccharimetry).
A high-quality optics, intelligent evaluation logarithms, LEDs with different wavelengths and a consistent measuring accuracy over the entire measuring range are available for the quantification and characterization of all optically active substances.
In the following table we have compiled an overview of frequent samples from our customers. Most samples were measured at standard measurement conditions (20 ° C, λ = 589 nm). Deviations are indicated. The measurements given are not specifications.
The PDF overview of these samples is available for download at the following link:
Get in contact with us, we will assist you in choosing a suitable polarimeter.
|SCALES||Optical rotation [°]
Int. sugar scale [°Z]
Concentration [g/100 ml]
|MEASUREMENT RANGES||±90° |
0–99.9 g/100 ml
±0.5 g/100 ml
±0.5 g/100 ml
0.1 g/100 ml
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT||With temperature probe PRT-E or PRT-T|
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT RANGE||0–99.9 °C|
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT RESOLUTION||0.1 °C|
|TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT ACCURACY||±0.2 °C|
|TEMPERATURE CONTROL||With water bath thermostat PT31/PT80 and temperature-controlled measurement tube|
|TEMPERATURE CONTROL RANGE||8–40 °C|
|TEMPERATURE CONTROL ACCURACY||±0.2 °C|
|MEASUREMENT PERIOD ±90°||Approx. 1 s|
|LIGHT SOURCE||1 LED with filter|